MQO Research spoke with 400 residents of Prince Edward Island to gauge the political temperature in the province for the May edition of our quarterly political poll: Atlantic Matters.
According to the latest polling numbers, party support held steady across all political parties in May. Among decided and leaning voters:
- Current Liberal support held relatively steady at 38%.
- Support for the PC Party also held steady at 29% in May.
- NDP support exhibited little change at 7%.
- Support for the Green Party also remained mostly unchanged at 26%.
- The undecided / no vote group remained steady at 35%.
Ratings for the leadership of Premier Wade MacLauchlan remained relatively steady this quarter with a mean rating of 5.1 (on a 10-point scale).
Islander’s view on the economic outlook for the province saw a decline this quarter. 19% of Islanders reported that the economic outlook over the past three months had gotten worse, up from 13% in January.
Federally, there was a significant drop in support for the governing Liberals in May. Among decided and leaning voters:
- Liberal support dropped 11 percentage points to 49%.
- Conservative support jumped 10 percentage points to 35%.
- NDP support held relatively steady at 8%.
- Support for the Green Party also remained relatively unchanged at 8%.
- Ratings of government performance under Justin Trudeau also declined with a mean rating of 5.1 this quarter (down from 5.7 in October 2017).
The Atlantic Matters poll was conducted by telephone from April 16th to May 8th, 2018 and included 400 randomly selected eligible voters from across the province. The margin of error for the total sample is ± 4.9 percentage points 19 times out of 20.
About MQO Research
MQO Research is one of Atlantic Canada’s leading market research firms, providing research insights to clients throughout the region and beyond. Our team includes experts in quantitative and qualitative methodologies and program evaluation. MQO is a Gold Seal member of the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA) and as such subscribes to the highest standards of information gathering and research ethics in the industry in Canada.
MQO is part of Group m5, the largest communications organization in Eastern Canada. The Group m5 family of brands includes m5 Marketing Communications, m5 Public Affairs, MQO Research and Wavelight Productions.
For more information on Atlantic Matters or MQO Research, contact: