MQO Research spoke with 600 residents of Newfoundland and Labrador to gauge the political temperature in the province for the October edition of our quarterly political poll: Atlantic Matters.
According to the latest polling numbers, support for the Liberals jumped significantly in October at the expense of the PC Party. Among decided and leaning voters:
- Current Liberal support in the province jumped 17 percentage points to 52%.
- PC Party support dropped significantly to 31% (down 17 percentage points).
- NDP support held steady at 15%.
- The undecided / no vote group was down significantly to 36% (down 6 percentage points from July).
Ratings for the leadership of Premier Dwight Ball increased from 4.0 in July to 4.6 this quarter.
Newfoundland and Labrador residents’ were less pessimistic about the economic outlook for the province in October. 45% said the general outlook in Newfoundland and Labrador has been getting worse over the past three months which was down from 56% in July.
Federally, the Liberals widened their lead in Newfoundland and Labrador. Among decided and leaning voters:
- Liberal support jumped 6 percentage points to 70%.
- Conservative support held steady at 21%.
- NDP support dropped 6 percentage points to 8%.
- Support for the Green Party exhibited little change at 0%.
- Ratings of government performance under Justin Trudeau held relatively steady with a mean score of 6.1 this quarter.
The Atlantic Matters poll was conducted by telephone from Oct. 12 to Oct. 19, 2017 and included 600 randomly selected eligible voters from across the province. The margin of error for the total sample is ± 4.0 percentage points 19 times out of 20. Among decided and leaning voters, the margin of error for the survey is ± 5.1 percentage points 19 times out of 20.
About MQO Research
MQO Research is one of Atlantic Canada’s leading market research firms, providing research insights to clients throughout the region and beyond. Our team includes experts in quantitative and qualitative methodologies and program evaluation. MQO is a Gold Seal member of the Marketing Research and Intelligence Association (MRIA) and as such subscribes to the highest standards of information gathering and research ethics in the industry in Canada.
MQO is part of Group m5, the largest communications organization in Eastern Canada. The Group m5 family of brands includes m5 Marketing Communications, m5 Public Affairs, MQO Research, Wavelight Productions and Impress Design.
For more information on Atlantic Matters or MQO Research, contact: